frequently asked questions
Come on then, how much does all this cost?
Wedding ceremonies start at £850 for 2023. I give an 'all in' quote, so this will vary based on location, distance, and whether any accommodation is required if you are more than a 4 hour journey away. Please get in touch for a bespoke quote!
And what does that include?
Before the day:
- a no-obligation zoom chat before you book, so we can check we are a good fit for each other;
- my Kickass Guide To Planning Your Humanist Wedding Ceremony, which includes information, hints, tips and activities to get you thinking about what you do and don't want for your ceremony;
- ceremony planning questionnaire for the initial planning stages;
- any online or in person planning meetings (at my home in Derby);
- Whatsapp group chat for the three of us from the script/planning stage up to your wedding day;
- my Kickass Guide To Writing Your Own Wedding Vows, and any help and support you might need with these
- advice / suggestions for readings if required;
- writing a totally unique script for your ceremony, and working with you to make any edits or tweaks needed until you are completely happy with it;
- a zoom call a few days before your wedding to run through any last minute tips or questions.
On the day:
- exclusive use! I only ever book one wedding a day, so that I can give it my full attention and can be flexible with timings;
- travel to and from your venue;
- being a general dogsbody for an hour before and after the ceremony (helping out with arranging the ceremony space, shepherding guests, or dealing with anything else that crops up!);
- conducting a heartfelt and hilarious ceremony which has you and your guests loving every single second;
- including any alternative wedding rituals or symbolic actions you fancy including;
- a certificate designed to fit your colour scheme to sign as part of the ceremony (if you would like that as a photo opportunity - not everyone does!)
- a gorgeous printed and PDF presentation copy of your ceremony script as a keepsake;
- a buddy for life (if you want me!)
Will our wedding be legally binding?
You will have to do the legal bit separately with a Registrar, which generally costs around £57 if you go for the basic 2+2 'statutory registration' option. Think of it as getting the 'paperwork' out of the way - you don't even have to exchange rings; you can save that for your celebrant ceremony if you wish! You can do the 'legal bit' at any time before or after your main celebration. A bill has recently been introduced into Parliament to give Humanist weddings the same legal recognition in England and Wales as they already have in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Where are you based and where do you cover?
I live in Derby which makes it really easy to travel to most of the Midlands and into Yorkshire. If you and your venue are further afield, though, get in touch - I am happy to travel!
How do I book and how does payment work?
First, get in touch via my contact form or slide into my DMs on social media. From there we can arrange a zoom call to check that we click! If you decide we are a good fit and you'd like me to write and deliver your ceremony, a deposit will secure your date. I then split the remaining balance with 50% to pay once we start writing your script (usually 3-6 months before your big day) and the final balance being due 14 days before your ceremony.
We have no idea what we want to include in our ceremony. Can you help us?!
That's what I'm here for! I can have as much or as little contribution to the content of the ceremony as you would like. If you already have a really clear vision of what you would like to say and include, then I can just offer tweaks and help with the overall structure. If you are totally clueless and already feel overwhelmed at the thought of deciding what to include (or not include!) in your ceremony, then I will offer guidance and suggestions until we have come up with something truly special which reflects you as a couple or family.